Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Where I'm at and where I want to go...

Sorry for the late post! I've been battling a cold while trying to maintain active which has been draining.

In my last post I said I would update everyone on three things; my current state, current training, and goals. So lets get started...

I currently weigh in at 260. I'm not happy about that, just two years ago I was 227. I'm not happy about that, I'd like to get down to 230 and maintain my weight there.

I haven't been working out regularly. Over the past few months workouts have been hit or miss. I'm working on getting into a regular routine with my new schedule and slowly I've been getting in more workouts each week. I hope to keep that going and maintain at least 5 workouts a week.
With my runs being sporadic it has been hard to build mileage safely. For the past few months I've been doing short runs (under 5 miles) here and there. This past Sunday I ran a half marathon on four short weeks of training. I must say, I didn't have high expectations going into this race so simply finishing was a confidence builder. I'll have more on this later into the week.

My goals for running is to have three runs every week. I want to work on speed so I need to have 1 easy run, 1 speed workout (or tempo run), and 1 longer run. I've decided this is the year of the half marathon, so most of my runs will be to build and maintain a half marathon base while increasing speed. My short term goal is to PR at the half marathon distance, that means under 2:00:00. I was attempting to break two hours last year and in doing so, my time came in at exactly 2 hours. So I still have to break two hours at the half marathon. I'd also like to break 4 hours in a marathon, but that goal is a little longer out.

When it comes to biking, I don't have many racing goals here. I have never raced. I have a long term goal to break 5 hours in a century but having never actually riding one straight through that is an fuzzy goal. I'd like to become a stronger hill climber and improve my recovery time. When I group ride I tend to hang out at the 18-20 mph average. I'd like to continue to improve that and eventually carry this into a triathlon.

This brings me to my last section, to do a triathlon. I hope I can fit a late season sprint into my calendar this year. Next year I would love to work on swimming and get myself in shape for a half ironman. I don't think it is fair to have any time goals for a triathlon, so lets keep it as finish. I've got that long term, back of the mind, goal of doing Ironman.

So, there is the quick snapshot of where I'm at and where I'd like to go. I hope to be sharing weekly workout summaries along with monthly totals and running totals.

Thanks for reading.

Jon

No comments: